When Your Divorce Is Contested
At Dowden, Worley, Jewell & Olswing, PLLC, in Memphis, we know that some divorces are more complex than others. Many times there are issues in a marriage that cannot be agreed upon. You may have very good reason for needing to take your divorce to court. We are here to help.
What Is Different About A Contested Divorce?
Your divorce can either be uncontested or contested. The difference is that in a contested divorce you will need proof for grounds or a “reason” that your marriage is not working and won’t work. Typically in a contested divorce you and your spouse do not agree as to how things should be divided, how parenting will work and other major factors.
Many Valid Reasons For Contested Divorce
If your marriage is not working, it is likely that you and your spouse have irreconcilable differences. To move forward with a contested divorce you will need a strong reason. The reason can vary, but is usually one of the following:
- The marriage has experienced cheating/adultery/inappropriate conduct
- There is an alcohol or substance abuse issue
- You and your spouse have lived apart for two years and do not have children under 18
- You and your spouse have lived apart and one spouse refuses to move to Tennessee
- Abandonment of one spouse or willful desertion of over a year
- Criminal felony conviction
- If the wife is pregnant with another man’s child before the marriage took place
- Abusive behavior such as attempted murder or serious threat to life by one spouse to the other
- The inability to bear children, impotence
- One spouse is legally married to someone else
There may be other reasons that you want to divorce. We can walk you through the process and provide honest and straightforward guidance. As a team experienced in Tennessee family law issues, we understand that any marriage can suffer and that anyone, from any walk of life or background may need to pursue a contested divorce. We can also advise and assist with your child custody process.
We Are Here To Help You Move Forward
If you are looking for proven family law attorneys who are committed to your goals, your timeline and your outcome, turn to us. We will work with you every step of the way to ensure that the focus stays on you, your children and the future you envision. Call our team to arrange a consultation: 901-755-8075. We can also be reached by using our online contact form. Located in Memphis, we serve clients who need divorce assistance throughout the Memphis metro area and in Western Tennessee.